Many skeptics get a bad rap. Believers tell us that we just dismiss things out of hand, without actually examining the “real” evidence, or trying the paranormal for ourselves. As an amateur skeptic, I’ve heard these complaints, and decided to act on them.
I’m going to use this blog as my first official entry into the prophecy gig. For the purposes of this experiment, I’m going to assume that telling the future is something that anyone can do if they are truly open to experiencing the mystery and grandeur of times past and present. (or whatever). So in this spirit of experimentation with the unknown, I will meditate/pray/dance/concentrate and try to divine 20 events that will occur in the coming year. I ask you, gentle reader, to keep track of my predictions throughout the year, and keep me honest if I try to claim undeserved credit for a hit.
Without any further ado, here are
Scott Dezrah Blinn’s Psychic Predictions for 2008
1. Britney Spears will do another round of rehab, but this time, she will do the entire course, and come out saying that God has helped her through, and she is going to change her ways and dedicate the rest of her career/life to serving him.
2. There will be a Democrat in the White House.
3. Libertarianism will get a new, respectable public image, and finally seem to be a viable alternative political party.
4. The writer’s strike will end, but neither side will be wholly satisfied with the final agreement, leading to another strike before the end of the new contract. The strike will also lead to the continued and increasing popularity of IPTV and Podcasts ( revision3 and TWIT, I’m looking at you.)
5. Pope Benedict will suffer a serious illness or injury, putting the world on watch for a new pope.
6. There will be a major shakeup in the British Royal Family. A death, a birth, and money troubles.
7. I see a major political, possibly terrorist, event occurring at the Olympics. This will lead to more intense security at future world events, and a questioning of role of the Olympic games in the future. This will also lead to 24-hour news channels staking out locker rooms and bus depots, ambushing 14-year-old athletes with asinine questions about how they feel about said event.
8. Duke Nukem Forever final release date will be anounced, and delayed again.
9. The Kindle will outsell the Sony reader, and become the dominant e-book platform. No one outside of tech journalists, uber-geeks and Sony fanboys will give a rat’s ass.
10. The Wii console will continue to outsell the PS3 and Xbox 360, but actual 360 game title sales with grossly outnumber both the PS3 and the Wii.
11. A new physical video media format will be announced, and no one will care.
12. Pownce will dominate the social networking space. (please?)
13. David Blaine will announce his newest endurance stunt, and his friends and family will attempt to discourage him, while his professional peers will wish him the best, while making plans to out-do him.
14. The United States will get involved in a military action in a region where its very presence will do more to destabilize and worsen the situation. (I’m looking at you Pakistan, Iran)
15. The cultural war in the US will come to a head when a public figure points out that it’s okay for atheists, muslims and mormons to run for political office. The public will get even more infuriated when some old document is unearthed that says: “no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.”
16. A video of a cat doing something cute and/or funny will “go viral”
17. A media company will be found guilty of posting fake-amateur video on YouTube in order to create buzz for a brilliant new talent that “came from nowhere”
18. A major political player in the US will get impeached or censured for his/her actions in the last administration. This will be used my the current administration to prove that “it’s no longer business as usual” and “we’re fighting for change”. In reality, the scapegoat will later be pardoned, and little will actually change for the better.
19. Disney will announce the development of a new theme park somewhere in the Western Hemisphere.
20. Things That Never Happened (https://dezrah.wordpress.com) will become the single most important and influential blog in the world when it is discovered that every single prediction I just made has come true.
Okay, there you have it. My predictions for 2008, some real, some obvious, some with just a hint of cynical humor.
Let’s see how I do.