Some facts you need to be aware of:
1) It is generally accepted (except by nostalgic fanboys and Dirk Benedict) that the original Battlestar Galactica was a piece of steaming cat crap. It was, deal with it. Your skepticism about the quality of the new series is understandable.
2) The new Battlestar Galactica is one of the best series on television. Period. I did not qualify this by saying it was one of the best Sci-Fi series. It is just one of the best. It is produced, written, acted and directed better than almost any television show ever. (and most movies)
3) The creators have taken a bold step by deciding to end the series when the story reaches its dramatic conclusion. It does not matter that the ratings are fantastic or that critics, fans and network are clamoring for more. Ron Moore and David Eick are showing a huge amount of artistic integrity in a time when every mildly popular franchise gets squeezed for every last possible bit of revenue.
4) The aforementioned last season starts tonight @ 10pm Eastern on Sci-Fi. If you have any friends that have been watching it, DO NOT try to call, IM or “drop-in” between 10pm and 11pm tonight. Although they may seem outwardly polite and even courteous, inwardly they are cursing you, your parents for raising you with such terrible manners, and the inventors of any of the technologies that allowed you to interrupt them.
5) If you have not been following the show, you are forgiven. I will even take the step of recommending that you do not watch tonight’s premiere. BSG is an episodic show that has been telling a multi-layered story with complex characters and themes. If history is to be any indication, they will not re-hash 3 seasons of story to get you “caught up”. Having said that, if you ignore my advice and attempt to watch this with a friend who has been following the story, DO NOT ask questions, or even comment on the story while the episode is on. The consequences for your relationship with that person will be dire indeed. You have been warned.
6) The good news is, you can get caught up. Past seasons are available on DVD:Battlestar Galactica (2003 Miniseries) or you can even get the “Cliff Notes” versions online: Battlestar Revealed and The Story So Far (recaps seasons 1+2) or Sign up for a Hulu account to catch some back episodes online.
7) If yr in the area, and need a place to watch it, let me know!
That’s enough from geekdom. If you haven’t seen the show, you have a lot to look forward to. If you have, then you know the mind-frak that’s surely going to happen tonight. Call me if you want to vent post-episode.