(Thanks to Stephanie Roy for the idea)
1. what did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I welcomed my son into the world. I was put under for surgery. I had 4 wisdom teeth removed. I was onstage with a burlesque troop, and other performers I’d never met. I travelled overnight for a gig. I camped with the non-credulous, hung out with humanists and ate with atheists.
2. did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I kept some, missed others, and decided that goals with deadlins are better than resolutions.
3. did anyone close to you give birth?
My wife, (see #1)
4. did anyone close to you die?
A sparrow that I was never had the privilage of meeting, but whose passing rocked me to my core.
5. what countries did you visit?
The only one I ever have. Sigh.
6. what would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Ambition, and enough money to not be stressed.
7. what date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Jan 29th. (See #1)
8. what was your biggest achievement of the year?
Playing the Jerkus Circus with The Steamy Bohemians, and raising Orion. (again, see #1)
9. what was your biggest failure?
Had to drop a class, didn’t follow through on a huge opportunity w/CFI and had to bail on Keith for TAM.
10. did you suffer illness or injury?
Disphagia caused by an irritated esophagus caused by a growth in my stomach lining (Most likely benign. Maybe.)
11. what was the best thing you bought?
A new website http://www.dezrah.com and magic goodies.
12. whose behavior merited celebration?
Amanda’s as always. She gave me my son, put up with my wafflilng and ineptitude, and her patience and openess with me has helped bring us to a wonderful place together.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The state of California. (Prop 8, really?), those who think that freedom of speech/religion only applies to the things they agree with, the nameless ones who should freaking know better, and as always, my biggest dissapointment is myself.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage and food.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The aforementioned missed opportunity with D.J. and CFI. Working with The Steamy Bohemians (TWICE), Karin Webb saying “I like what you did!”
16. what song will always remind you of 2009?
“Single Ladies” by Beyonce, “Just for now” by Imogen Heap and “White Wine in the Sun” by Tim Minchin
17. compared to this time last year, are you:
Yes, and 2010 promises to be even better.
thinner or fatter?
Fatter, by quite a bit. Sigh.
richer or poorer?
18. what do you wish you’d done more of?
Rehearsal, writing and reflecting. (and sleeping)
19. what do you wish you’d done less of?
Procrastinating, regretting, wasting time with empty pursuits.
20. how will you be spending christmas?
21. did you fall in love in 2009?
all over again, for the 10th year in a row.
22. what new foods did you eat?
23. what was your favorite tv program?
Community and No Reservations
24. do you dislike anyone now that you didn’t dislike this time last year?
25. what was the best book you read?
Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
26. what was your greatest musical discovery?
Tim Minchin, Kate Bush, Daft Punk. (Yes, I’m out of the loop)
27. what did you want and get?
A straitjacket and 100′ of rope.
28. what did you want and not get?
A trip to TAM, firewalking lessons.
29. what was your favorite film of this year?
30. what did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I don’t even remember, I probably worked. 33 (I think)
31. what one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More focus and attention to what matters.
32. how would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Whatever wasn’t actually falling apart and was comfortable under my gown/jumpsuit in the fab.
33. what kept you sane?
34. which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Depending on your definition of “fancy” that could get me in trouble. 😉
35. what political issue stirred you the most?
Gay marriage, vaccination panic and blasphemy laws.
36. who did you miss?
Old friends, long distant.
37. who was the best new person you met?
Way too many to name, Lainey and Niki, Karin, WWZ guy Mystopher, Stephanie, Angie, hell, everyone at Camp Inquiry.
38. tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009
GET OFF YOUR ASS AND MAKE THINGS HAPPEN! No one’s checking in on you, if you want opportunties, make them. When ever inspiration strikes, create! Don’t wait until later!
39. quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“There’s no such thing as spare time, there’s no such thing as free time, there’s no such thing as down time, all you’ve got is life time! GO!” -Rollins